Sweet yet spicy sticky chicken, why would you say no to that? It is something so flavoursome, yet simple to put together.
- Rinse the rice under running water, draining out the water then refilling with fresh water a few times. Add water to the rice and set aside
- In a pan heat the olive oil, add the onions, garlic and ginger. When the colour of the onions starts changing, add the salt, pepper and cinnamon. Add the boiling water, followed by the drained rice, chicken stock cube and saffron. Mix gently, leave to boil under medium/high heat, then reduce heat, cover and leave for 10-15 mins
- In the meantime, in a bowl, mix the brown sugar, honey, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, hot sauce, salt and black pepper. Set aside
- Place the chicken in a sandwich bag with flour. Shake the bag to thinly coat the chicken. Heat the vegetable oil in a non-stick pan, shake off excess flour from the chicken and place them in the pan, leaving to lightly brown either side
- Add the liquid mixture 1/3 at a time to the chicken, whilst it is on medium/high heat. Allow the liquid to absorb/thicken first before adding more liquid. If you feel you do not want all the liquid to be used, you do not have to use it all up. You should end up with thickened liquid over the chicken
- Once the rice is done, turn off the heat, check using a fork to fluff the rice. Add kitchen paper under the lid, then seal it again and set aside for 5 mins. When ready to serve, add the rice with the chicken on top
You can make this chicken with potatoes, bread or whatever you want! I made it with rice and a salad with a good kick of vinegar to contrast the flavours of the chicken. Delicious mashAllah! Enjoy :)