I have always wanted to make pavlova - so I decided to make portion sized pavlovas - which are less messy when it comes to serving. It really is so simple, and something you can make in advance ready to serve as a dessert whenever needed.
- Using an electric whisk, whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form (this will take at least 3 minutes or more )
- Add the sugar one teaspoon at a time, continuously whisking on high speed until all the sugar is added, then add the vanilla extract and whisk for a few more minutes. You should have a shiny mixture with soft peaks
- Place mixture into a piping bag and pipe the mixture onto the baking paper in a nest shape (picture of the shape of the nest to follow). Place into the oven at 130 degrees Celsius for 1 hour and 15 mins. Then switch off the oven and leave the door open until the meringues cool
- Make the cream by whisking the double cream until JUST starting to thicken, whereby you then add the icing sugar and vanilla extract and whisk a little more (whisking too much forms a butter-like consistency, which we definitely do not want)
- Pipe the cream into the cooled meringue nest, then decorate with fruit
It is simple, tasty and looks GREAT! Enjoy :)