I wanted to use up the aubergine and courgettes we had in the fridge, something quick, simple and to be honest...I just wanted an excuse to cook. Of course making pasta is not rocket science, so here is an aubergine and courgette pasta I made. You can vary this recipe according to what you like and what you have on hand.
- Begin by placing your pasta in a saucepan, and add enough boiling water to cover the pasta and at least 1cm more. Add the salt and olive oil. Leave to simmer for 10 minutes, then drain
- Meanwhile, place the olive oil in a non-stick saucepan, and leave to heat up on medium heat. Once hot enough, add the aubergine to the saucepan. Once all the olive oil has been soaked up, add more over the aubergine. Once the aubergine starts to cook, add the courgettes, alongside the salt, black pepper and garlic. Mix well
- Add the onions to the saucepan, then the chicken. Once the onion and chicken has nearly cooked, add the chopped tomato, alongside the tomato puree, mixed herbs and za'atar. Mix well
- Add the chick peas to the mixture with a little cheese, and leave to simmer for at least 5 minutes. Taste the sauce to adjust any seasoning
- You can either plate up the pasta and add the sauce on top, with cheese to garnish, or you can mix the pasta with the sauce, plate up and then garnish with cheese...the choice is yours (I have done both)
According to my little sister, this was 'aaaaaaaaamazing'....so you know, it depends if you want to go by that or not :) Most importantly, enjoyyy :)