This is a very traditional Lebanese dish, which dates back to our great great great (you get the idea) grandparents. It was very common due to its simple ingredients, nutrition and delicious taste.
- In a pot, add the olive oil over medium heat.
- Once hot, add the onions and cook until their colour changes
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, add your red lentils and rice. Wash under running water a few times to clean the lentils, then drain the water and set aside
- Once the onions gain some colour, add the salt and give a quick mix
- Add the hot water, lentils and rice. Stir, and leave until the mixture comes to a boil.
- Once the mixture boils, reduce the heat, cover, and leave for 20 mins.
- Check after this time, if the mixture is too dry, add a little water, mix and cover for another 5-10 mins. However, if the lentils and rice have cooked and a paste like consistency has formed, you are ready to serve
Mujadara is typically eaten with bread, with a side salad, radishes, olives, onions and whatever else you fancy. It really is so easy to make, and so delicious in its simpleness! Enjoy :)