- For the cake batter, use half the ingredients to make one batch, then the other half to make another batch - so you end up with two cakes. For the first cake, add half the quantity of the eggs, the granulated sugar and the vanilla extract to a large bowl of a stand electric mixer, and whisk for 10 minutes or until the volume has increased 3-4 times, and the mixture is a pale colour.
- Add half the quantity of the plain flour, and using a spatula fold it in gently as to preserve the air bubbles, but ensuring no flour lumps remain
- Add the mixture to a greased and lined (only the base) 10.5 inch by 10.5 inch baking tin. Add the mixture and place into the oven at 180 degrees Celsius for 20 mins, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Leave to cool for at least 5 minutes before transferring onto a wire rack and then leave it to cool completely
- In the meantime repeat steps 1-3 for the next cake layer and set aside to cool completely
- For the strawberry filling, add the halved strawberries into a blender, then place in the fridge ready for use
- To make the frosting, add the cream cheese and granulated sugar, and whisk for around 1-2 mins or until well combined. Add the double cream and whisk only until mixture thickens (do not over whisk or you will end up with butter). If you want, you can now divide the mixture into two and add red food colouring to one mixture, to form the colour you are looking for. Place into the fridge ready for use
- To assemble, cut each cake layer in half longitudinally, so you end up with four cake layers. Place the first layer on your serving tray. Spread 1/3 of the strawberry layer filling onto first layer. Place a thin layer of frosting on the second cake layer, and then place the frosting side down - so it is on top of the strawberry filled layer side. Repeat for the next layers.
- Frost the rest of the cake with frosting, and decorate with strawberries and almonds as you like
I am not a professional piper, as you can see lol. From its smell when it came out of the oven, it had the scent of a swiss roll ... it is super soft, almost like bites of delicious air. The strawberry flavour comes out so beautifully with every mouth full, and really is a melt in your mouth cake. A big hit! Eid Mubarak! :)