I got a request to make a healthy cake, which is fair enough! :) This sponge cake is low in fat, low in calories, made with hot skimmed milk. Lovely cake, which you can enjoy guilt free.
- Place the eggs and vanilla extract in a bowl, and using an electric whisk, beat the eggs on high speed for around 5 minutes, or until thick
- Add the sugar gradually, whilst whisking on medium speed, until light and fluffy
- Add the flour and baking powder, beating on low speed just until it is combined
- Heat the milk and butter, until the butter melts, then add to the mixture, mixing till combined
- Place in a 20 x 20 cm greased and lined with baking paper baking pan, then pour the mixture, and place into a 200 degree oven for 20-25 mins
- Leave to cool in the pan, then transfer to cool completely on a wire rack, before placing whatever you like on top before serving
This is the basic recipe for this low fat cake, but you can be as creative as you like. A drizzle of chocolate sauce, or fresh fruit and cream would accompany this perfectly. Enjoy!