A very cute and amazing friend gifted me smiley cookie cutters, so I thought why not make some jammie dodgers - a lovely buttery biscuit that you place jam inside. I also added nutella to some of them instead.
- Place the butter and icing sugar in a bowl, and beat using an electric whisk until the mixture becomes pale and fluffy (could take 5 mins)
- Add the vanilla extract and egg yolk, and manually mix with a wooden spoon
- Add the flour and mix with your hands to form a dough, once a smooth ball is formed, wrap in clingfilm and place in the fridge for one hour
- Lightly flour the work surface, and roll out the dough (if you are doing a bit of the dough at a time, wrap the one you are not using and place back into the fridge) into around 3-5mm thickness. Use a cookie cutter to cut out the pieces, then place onto a baking sheet and into a pre-heated oven at 190 degrees for 8-10 mins or until pale golden in colour (leave it too much and it will become hard and too brown)
- As soon as you remove them from the oven, transfer them onto a wire rack and sprinkle caster sugar whilst they are still hot. Leave to cool completely, then fill in with the jam or nutella, then add another layer on top.
This biscuit melts in your mouth, simply delicious! And the smiles on these cookies just tops it all. Enjoy :)